Oil on canvas
79 x 165 in.
200.7 x 419.1 cm
signed and dated front lower right: PHILIP GUSTON/1941
- Courtesy of the Fine Arts Collection, U.S. General Services Administration Commissioned through the Section of Fine Arts, 1934-1943
- Currier Museum of Art, Manchester, NH, "WPA in NH: Philip Guston and Musa McKim", September 16, 2021 - December 06, 2021
- Hinkle, Karl. ''Artist Must Bridge Gap Between Artists and Public: Guston Expresses Sentiment of Today's Young American Painter." Daily Iowan, October 9, 1941, p. 4, mentioned in text, not illus.
- O'Connor, Francis V., ed. "Philip Guston and Political Humanism." In Arts and Architecture in the Service of Politics, edited by Henry A. Milton and Linda Nochlin. Cambridge: MIT Press, 1978, mentioned in text p. 345, not illus.
- Hanson, Bernard. "Guston's Fine Lines and Gray Areas." Hartford Courant, August 23, 1981, p. G2, mentioned in text, not illus.
- Nicholas Serota, ed. Philip Guston: Paintings 1969–1980. Exh. cat. London: Whitechapel Art Gallery, 1982, illus. in b&w p. 59
- Mayer, Musa. Night Studio: A Memoir of Philip Guston by His Daughter. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1988, illus. in b&w no. 16 (following p. 18)
- Linea y Poesia Philip Guston Musa McKim. Exh. cat. Lanzarote: Fundacion César Manrique, 1998, illus. in b&w p. 22
- Philip Guston Tableaux / Paintings 1947 - 1979. Exh. cat. Ostfildern: Hatje Cantz Publishers, 2000, mentioned in text p. 131, not illus.
- Pfeiffer, Ingrid, and Max Hollein, eds. Philip Guston Das Grosse Spatwerk/Late Works. Exh. cat. Cologne: Strzeleckibooks, 2013, mentioned in text p. 140 (English)/141 (German), not illus.
- Miller, Peter Benson, ed. Go Figure! New Perspectives on Guston. New York: American Academy in Rome; New York Review of Books, 2014, mentioned in text p. 41, not illus.
- Mayer, Musa. Night Studio: A Memoir of Philip Guston. 1988. Reprint, Munich: Sieveking Verlag; Zurich: Hauser & Wirth, 2016, illus. no. 58, illus. in b&w p. 152
- Cooper, Harry, Mark Godfrey, Alison de Lima Greene, and Kate Nesin. Philip Guston Now. Exh. cat. Washington D.C.: National Gallery of Art, 2020, b&w photograph of Guston working on mural illus. p. 26. Also mentioned in text p. 225
- Storr, Robert. Philip Guston: A Life Spent Painting. London: Laurence King Publishing, 2020, illus. in b&w p. 287 as part of a photo of Guston and mentioned in text p. 287
- New Hampshire Union Leader. "Pair of masterpieces go on view in 'WPA in NH' at Currier Museum of Art. September 29, 2021. Online, illus. in color
- Mayer, Musa. Philip Guston. London: Laurence King Publishing, 2021, illus. in color pp. 16-17 and mentioned in text p. 11