Oil on canvas
68 x 73¼ in.
172.7 x 186.1 cm
Signed front lower left: Philip Guston
- Saint Louis Art Museum, Funds given by the Shoenberg Foundation, Inc. and Mr. and Mrs. Robert Shoenberg, by exchange 8:1990
- Denver Art Museum, Denver, CO, "Poets & Painters", November 21, 1979 - January 13, 1980 Travelled to:
- Greenville County Museum of Art, Greenville, SC, "Philip Guston", February 11, 1986 - April 06, 1986 Travelled to:
- Art Museum at Florida International University, Miami, FL, "American Art Today: The Portrait", May 08, 1987 - June 03, 1987
- Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, Madrid, Spain, "Philip Guston: Retrospectiva de Pintura", March 01, 1989 - May 08, 1989 Travelled to:
- Saint Louis Art Museum, St. Louis, MO, "Philip Guston: Painterly Abstraction to the Figurative Grotesque", June 23, 2006 - September 04, 2006
- Poets & Painters. Exh. cat. Denver: Denver Art Museum, 1979, illus. in color on cover and in b&w (unpaginated)
- Halperen, Max. "Guston Paintings May Overwhelm Viewers." Leader Newsmagazine (Research Triangle Park, N. C.), June 12–19, 1986, p. 15, mentioned in text, not illus.
- Philip Guston. Exh. cat. Greenville: Greenville County Museum of Art, 1986, not illus.
- American Art Today: The Portrait. Exh. cat. Miami: Art Museum at Florida International University, 1987, no cat. #, illus. in b&w (unpaginated)
- Mayer, Musa. Night Studio: A Memoir of Philip Guston by His Daughter. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1988, illus. in b&w no. 69 (following p. 178)
- Philip Guston: Retrospectiva de Pintura. Exh. cat. Essays by Mark Rosenthal, Robert Storr, Carrie Rickey, Francisco Calvo Serraller, and Dore Ashton. Madrid: Ministerio de Cultura, Dirección General de Bellas Artes y Archivos, Centro Nacional de Exposiciones, 1989, cat. no. 46, illus. in color p. 108
- Ashton, Dore. A Critical Study of Philip Guston. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1990, illus. in color plate VIII (unpaginated)
- Balken, Debra Bricker, Bill Berkson, Clark Coolidge, William Corbett, and Stanley Kunitz. Philip Guston's Poem-Pictures. Exh. cat. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994, illus. in color Plate 5 p. 13
- Philip Guston: One-Shot-Paintings/De Un Solo Aliento. Exh. cat. Essays by Kosme de Barañano, Maria Jesus Folch, Fernando Gomez Aguilera, and Manuel Padorno. Valencia: IVAM, 2001. In association with Ediciones Aldeasa, unnumbered catalog, color plate p. 225
- Anfam, David. "Telling Tales: Philip Guston in Retrospect." Artforum International, May 2003, pp. 132–39, 192, mentioned in text p. 136, not illus.
- Corbett, William. "Philip Guston in Retrospect." Brooklyn Rail, November 2003, p. 15, illus. in b&w
- Saint Louis Art Museum Magazine. "Focus on the Collection: Philip Guston." July–September 2006, illus. in color pg. 14
- Bucklow, Christopher. What Is in the Dwat: The Universe of Guston's Final Decade. Grasmere, England: Wordsworth Trust, 2007, Plate 21, illus. in color p. 179
- Kaufmann, David. Telling Stories: Philip Guston's Later Works. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2010, mentioned in text pp. 54-55, not illus.
- Miller, Peter Benson, ed. Go Figure! New Perspectives on Guston. New York: American Academy in Rome; New York Review of Books, 2014, illus. in color Fig. 44 p. 119 (unpaginated) and mentioned in text p. 118
- Storr, Robert. Philip Guston: A Life Spent Painting. London: Laurence King Publishing, 2020, No. 192 illus. in color p. 184 and mentioned in text p. 104