Oil on canvas
80 x 100 in.
203.2 x 254.0 cm
Signed front lower center: Philip Guston
- National Gallery of Canada, Purchased 1999
- David McKee Gallery, New York, NY, "Philip Guston: Paintings 1976", Part I: March 18-April 8, 1977, Part II; April 9 - April 30, 1977
- Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, Madrid, Spain, "Philip Guston: Retrospectiva de Pintura", March 01, 1989 - May 08, 1989 Travelled to:
- Neues Museum Weserburg, Bremen, Germany, "Picasso, Guston, Miro, de Kooning: In vollkommener Freiheit, Painting for themselves: Late Works", October 20, 1996 - February 07, 1997
- Kunstmuseum Bonn, Bonn, Germany, "Philip Guston: Gemälde 1947 - 1979", September 02, 1999 - November 01, 1999 Travelled to:
- Kramer, Hilton. "Art: New Works by Philip Guston." The New York Times, March 25, 1977, p. C18, illus. in b&w, listed as "The Room"
- Philip Guston: Paintings 1976. Exh. cat. New York: David McKee Gallery, 1977, cat. no. 2, illus. in b&w (unpaginated), listed as "The Room"
- Smith, Roberta. "The New Gustons." Art in America, January–February 1978, pp. 100–5, illus. in color p. 103 (incorrectly labeled "Procession, 1976, 80 by 124 inches")
- Brandenburg, John. "Seeing Guston's Art Requires a 'Leap' to Dallas." Oklahoman (Oklahoma City, OK), December 24, 1989, section Travel & Entertainment, p. 4, mentioned in text, not illus.
- Philip Guston: Retrospectiva de Pintura. Exh. cat. Essays by Mark Rosenthal, Robert Storr, Carrie Rickey, Francisco Calvo Serraller, and Dore Ashton. Madrid: Ministerio de Cultura, Dirección General de Bellas Artes y Archivos, Centro Nacional de Exposiciones, 1989, cat. no. 49, illus. in color p. 125
- Bode, Ursula. "Alte Manner Sind gefahrlich: Das Spatwerk von Guston, de Kooning, Miro und Picasso in Bremen." Die Zeit (Hamburg), December 19, 1996, illus.
- Picasso, Guston, Miro, de Kooning: In vollkommener Freiheit. Exh. cat. Bremen: Neues Museum Weserberg Bremen, 1996, cat. no. 6, illus. in color p. 110 and mentioned in text pp. 84, 86
- Schreier, Christoph, Michael Auping, and Martin Hentschel. Philip Guston: Gemalde 1947–1979. Exh. cat. Ostfildern: Hatje Cantz Verlag, 1999, unnumbered catalog, illus. in color p. 109
- Nemiroff, Diana. "The Painter's Quest." Vernissage, Spring 2000, pp. 18–19, illus. in color p. 18 and described p. 19
- Milroy, Sarah. "I Was Feeling Split, Schizophrenic." National Post, May 17, 2000, pp. B6–B7, illus. in color
- Halkes, Petra. "Figuring Out Abstraction." Border Crossings, August 2000, pp. 75–77, illus. in color p. 75
- Breerette, Geneviève. "Au Centre Georges-Pompidou, Philip Guston le désenchanté." Le Monde (Paris), September 15, 2000, section Culture, p. 35, mentioned in text, not illus.
- National Gallery of Canada and the Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography: Annual Report 1999–2000, 2000, pp. 22–23, illus. in color p. 22, described p. 23
- Ottinger, Didier, and Philip Roth. Philip Guston: Peintures 1947–1979. Exh. cat. Paris: Centre Georges Pompidou, 2000, illus. in color p. 72
- Philip Guston Tableaux / Paintings 1947 - 1979. Exh. cat. Ostfildern: Hatje Cantz Publishers, 2000, illus. in color p. 109
- Franklin, David, ed. Treasures of the National Gallery of Canada. Ottawa: National Gallery of Canada; New Haven: Yale University Press, 2003, illus. in color p. 191, described p. 190
- Burlington Magazine. "Recent Acquisitions at the National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, 1998–2006: Supplement Source." October 2006, illus. in color p. 729 fig. XX
- Bucklow, Christopher. What Is in the Dwat: The Universe of Guston's Final Decade. Grasmere, England: Wordsworth Trust, 2007, Plate 29, illus. in color p. 183 and mentioned in text p. 29
- Vie des Arts. "Musée des Beaux-Arts du Canada, Quelque Recentes Acquisitions." Spring 2009, illus. in color p. 63, fig. 4
- Rosen, Aaron. "Chapter 2: Philip Guston: Recasting the Past, or How to Make a Golem." In Imagining Jewish Art: Encounters with the Masters in Chagall, Guston, and Kitaj. Oxford: Legenda, 2009, p. 75, note 95
- Thomas, Elly. Play and the Artist's Creative Process. New York: Routledge, 2019, mentioned in text p. 145 as being from 1977, not illus.
- Storr, Robert. Philip Guston: A Life Spent Painting. London: Laurence King Publishing, 2020, No. 204 illus. in color p. 192, illus. in color p. 329 as part of an installation photo and mentioned in text p. 190