Acrylic and ink on illustration board
20 x 30 in.
50.8 x 76.2 cm
Signed and dated front lower left: P.G. 1980
- Private Collection
- The Phillips Collection, Washington, D.C., "Philip Guston: 1980 The Last Works", March 21, 1981 - May 24, 1981 Travelled to:
- Whitechapel Gallery, London, England, "Philip Guston: Paintings 1969 - 1980", October 13, 1982 - December 12, 1982 Travelled to:
- Hayden Gallery, Cambridge, MA, "Philip Guston: The Last Works Paintings and Drawings 1979 - 1980", October 13, 1984 - November 25, 1984
- Greenville County Museum of Art, Greenville, SC, "Philip Guston", February 11, 1986 - April 06, 1986 Travelled to:
- The Museum of Modern Art, New York, NY, "The Drawings of Philip Guston", September 07, 1988 - November 01, 1988 Travelled to:
- Sala Rekalde, Bilbao, Spain, "Philip Guston La Raiz Del Dibujo", May 11, 1993 - June 30, 1993
- Musee de l'Abbaye St. Croix, Les Sables d'Olonne, France, "Philip Guston: Oeuvres sur papier 1975-1980", June 24, 1995 - September 30, 1995
- Centro Andaluz de Arte Contemporaneo, Seville, Spain, "Los Excesos de la Mente", May 29, 2002 - September 22, 2002
- Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, Fort Worth, TX, "Philip Guston Retrospective", March 30, 2003 - June 08, 2003 Travelled to:
- Pinakothek der Moderne, Munich, Germany, "Philip Guston: Three views: The complete printed works, last acrylic works on paper, and drawings for poets", March 26, 2015 - June 28, 2015
- Gallerie dell'Accademia, Venice, Italy, "Philip Guston and the Poets", May 10, 2017 - September 03, 2017
- Richard, Paul. "The Gusto of Guston: The Artist's Compelling Last Pictures at the Phillips." Washington Post, April 9, 1981, pp. D1, D13, illus. in b&w
- Philip Guston 1980/The Last Works. Exh. cat. Washington D.C.: The Phillips Collection, 1981, cat. no. 2, illus. in color p. 9
- Greenville (SC) News. "Art Museum Opens New Exhibits." February 8, 1986, illus. in b&w
- Broom, Sharon. "Philip Guston Show Next at NCMA." Daily Reflector, (Greenville, N.C.), May 11, 1986, p. C-12, illus.
- Price, Mark. "On Display in Raleigh: Philip Guston's World Bizarre Place of Abstract Symbolism and Imagery." Fayetteville Times, May 27, 1986, section People, p. 14A, illus. p. 14A
- Philip Guston. Exh. cat. Greenville: Greenville County Museum of Art, 1986, illus. in color (no page #)
- New York. "Art." September 12, 1988, illus. in color pg. 64
- Wolff, Theodore F. "Philip Guston's Wide-Ranging 50-Year Career in Art. Major Exhibition Traces Significant Shifts in Interest." Christian Science Monitor, September 26, 1988, illus. p. 20
- Dabrowski, Magdalena. The Drawings of Philip Guston. Exh. cat. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 1988, cat. no. 146, illus. in color p. 164 and illus. in color opposite title page. Also mentioned in text p. 42
- Mayer, Musa. Night Studio: A Memoir of Philip Guston by His Daughter. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1988, illus. in b&w no. 80 (following p. 178), listed as "Untitled (Ladder)"
- Marzo, Jorge Luis. "Guston, un artista entre la figuracion y la abstraccion." La Vanguardia (Barcelona), March 26, 1989, illus.
- Heraldo de Aragon (Saragossa). "Guston expone en Barcelona." March 31, 1989, illus. as part of an installation photo
- Romagosa, Gemma. "Philip Guston: paradigma del expresionismo abstracto." Architectural Digest, April 1989, pp. 16, 18, illus. p. 16
- Mendez, Jose. "El Fin de la Avalancha." Elle, May 1989, illus.
- Elle Decoracion. "Philip Guston." May 1989, illus.
- Tysome, Tony. "Hobnail Boots." Oxford Times, June 1989, detail illus. (image published backwards)
- The International Council and International Program of the Museum of Modern Art Annual Report, 1988–1989. New York: The International Council of The Museum of Modern Art, 1989, illus. in color on front cover
- Philip Guston, Opere Su Carta 1933–1980. Exh. cat. Milan: Electa, 1989, cat. no. 117, illus. in color p. 121
- Dabrowski, Magdalena. Dibuixos Philip Guston. Exh. cat. Barcelona: Fundacio Caixa de Pensions, 1989, cat. no. 146 illus. in color p. 184
- de Barañano, Kosme Maria. Philip Guston: La Raiz del Dibujo. Exh. cat. Bilbao: Sala Rekalde, 1993, cat. no. 116, illus. in color p. 186
- Ottinger, Didier. Philip Guston (1913–1980) Oeuvres Sur Papier 1975–1980. Exh. cat. Les Sables d'Olonne: Musée de l'Abbaye Sainte-Croix des Sables d'Olonne, France, 1995, illus. in color
- Philip Guston: One-Shot-Paintings/De Un Solo Aliento. Exh. cat. Essays by Kosme de Barañano, Maria Jesus Folch, Fernando Gomez Aguilera, and Manuel Padorno. Valencia: IVAM, 2001. In association with Ediciones Aldeasa, illus. in color p. 38
- Centro Andaluz de Arts, Contemporaneo. Los excesos de la mente. Exh. cat. Sevilla: Empresa Publica de Gestion de Programas Culturales, 2002, illus. in color p. 105
- Auping, Michael. Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, Philip Guston Retrospective. Exh. cat. London: Thames & Hudson, 2003, illus. in color Plate 137, unpaginated
- Bucklow, Christopher. What Is in the Dwat: The Universe of Guston's Final Decade. Grasmere, England: Wordsworth Trust, 2007, Plate 52, illus. in color p. 194 and mentioned in text pp. 147-149
- Philip Guston Acryl auf Papier Letzte Arbeiten. Exh. cat. Munich: Staatliche Graphische Sammlung München, 2015, illus. in color p. 15
- Mayer, Musa. Night Studio: A Memoir of Philip Guston. 1988. Reprint, Munich: Sieveking Verlag; Zurich: Hauser & Wirth, 2016, illus. no. 110, illus. in color p. 300
- Philip Guston & The Poets. Exh. cat. Essay by Kosme de Barañano. Hauser & Wirth, 2017, illus. in color p. 109
- Cooper, Harry, Mark Godfrey, Alison de Lima Greene, and Kate Nesin. Philip Guston Now. Exh. cat. Washington D.C.: National Gallery of Art, 2020, illus. in color Plate 180 p. 175
- Mayer, Musa. Philip Guston. London: Laurence King Publishing, 2021, illus. in color p. 111 and mentioned in text p. 104