Gouache on panel
21⅞ x 23⅝ in.
55.6 x 60.0 cm
Signed front lower right: Philip Guston; inscribed on reverse: "DOYER II", 1958/ PHILIP GUSTON "22" x "23 1/2"/ FOR EX./ N.F.S./ RESERVE-TATE GALLERY (underlined)
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Promised Gift of Michael A. Rubenstein, from the collection of Michael A. and Juliet van Vliet Rubenstein
- Collection of Juliet and Michael A. Rubenstein
- Auction: Parke Bernet Galleries, Contemporary American and European Paintings, Drawings, Sculpture, May 14, 1970, Lot 61
- Colonel Robert Adeane, London
- Sidney Janis Gallery, New York, NY, "29 Recent Paintings by Philip Guston", December 28, 1959 - January 23, 1960
- The Met Breuer, New York, NY, "From Géricault to Rockburne: Selections from the Michael and Juliet Rubenstein Gift", January 29, 2020 - March 12, 2020
- 29 Recent Paintings by Philip Guston. Exh. cat. New York: Sidney Janis Gallery, 1959, cat. no. 28, illus. in b&w (no page #), Collection Colonel Robert Adeane
- Kingston Daily Freeman. "Guston Exhibit Draws Acclaim at Janis Gallery." January 11, 1960, p. 14, mentioned in text, not illus.
- Ashton, Dore. Philip Guston. New York: Grove, 1960, illus. in b&w (unpaginated), Collection Colonel Robert Adeane, London
- Moritz, Charles, ed. Current Biography, February 1971, pp. 10-13, mentioned in text p. 12, not illus.