Oil on canvas
66 x 79 in.
167.6 x 200.7 cm
Signed front lower right: Philip Guston
- Denver Art Museum, Bequest of Musa Guston
- Marlborough Gallery, New York, NY, "Philip Guston Recent Paintings", October 17, 1970 - November 07, 1970
- La Jolla Museum of Contemporary Art, La Jolla, CA, "Philip Guston: Recent Work", July 31, 1971 - October 03, 1971
- Denver Art Museum, Denver, CO, "First Sightings: Recent Modern and Contemporary Acquisitions", April 03, 1993 - November 21, 1993
- Denver Art Museum, Denver, CO, "Welcome Back! New and Familiar Selections from the Permanent Collection of Modern and Contemporary Art", April 25, 1998 - November 01, 1998
- Denver Art Museum, Denver, CO, "RETROSPECTACLE: 25 Years of Collecting Modern and Contemporary Art", November 16, 2002 - August 03, 2003
- Denver Art Museum, Denver, CO, "Focus: The Figure", August 9, 2008 - February 2011
- Denver Art Museum, Denver, CO, "Audacious: Contemporary Artists Speak Out", February 21, 2016 - February 26, 2017
- Phillips, Michael. "Phillip Guston's New Paintings." Boston Review of the Arts, December 15, 1970, mentioned in text, not illus.
- Philip Guston. Exh. cat. New York: Marlborough Gallery, 1970, cat. no. 22, illus. in b&w p. 27
- Philip Guston: Recent Work. Exh. brochure. La Jolla: La Jolla Museum of Contemporary Art, 1971, cat. no. 22, not illus.
- Smith, Roberta. "The New Gustons." Art in America, January–February 1978, pp. 100–5, mentioned in text p. 103, not illus.
- Coolidge, Clark, ed. Philip Guston: Collected Writings, Lectures, and Conversations. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2011, mentioned in text pp. 157 and 263-264, not illus.
- Pfeiffer, Ingrid, and Max Hollein, eds. Philip Guston Das Grosse Spatwerk/Late Works. Exh. cat. Cologne: Strzeleckibooks, 2013, illus. in color fig. 6 p. 78 (Harold Falckenberg essay) and mentioned in text p. 76 (English)/79 (German)
- Slifkin, Robert. Out of Time: Philip Guston and the Refiguration of Postwar American Art. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2013, illus. in color plate 9
- Gieskes, Mette. "I is an Other: Philip Guston's Imagined Incarnations of God and Klansmen." In Example or Alter Ego? Aspects of the Portrait Historie in Western Art from Antiquity to the Present. Edited by Volker Manuth, Rudie van Leeuwen, and Jos Koldeweij. Turnhout: Brepols, 2016, Illus. no. 2, illus. in color p. 287 and mentioned in text p. 286
- Elliott, David. "The Unstoppable Paintings of Philip Guston." Border Crossings, November 2020, pp. 48-55, mentioned in text p. 50, not illus.
- Cooper, Harry, Mark Godfrey, Alison de Lima Greene, and Kate Nesin. Philip Guston Now. Exh. cat. Washington D.C.: National Gallery of Art, 2020, illus. in color Plate 124 p. 115
- Storr, Robert. Philip Guston: A Life Spent Painting. London: Laurence King Publishing, 2020, No. 134 illus. in color p. 137 and mentioned in text p. 131
- Marcus, J.S. "Controversially postponed Philip Guston show finally gets going. How has it changed?" Art Newspaper, April 26, 2022. Online, mentioned in text, not illus.
- Burnett, Craig. "Mixed Emotions." Apollo, May 2022, pp. 78-84, illus. in color on front cover and mentioned in text pp. 80 and 83
- Guston, Philip. I Paint What I Want To See. Penguin Classics, 2022, mentioned in text pp. 97 and 207, not illus.